- We have new positions available for a postdoctoral fellow and a technician, beginning in Summer/Fall 2016. Contact me (email@example.com) if interested.
- Some nice press for our phytase superdosing research (Feed Navigator Article)
- Look who made the cover of the Catfish Journal!!
- Wrapping up harvest season (phytase superdosing studies)
- We’ve filled the two available MS positions (10/13)
The field office is almost done (the re-purposed fee-fishing shed on the S1 pond bank). Vintage charm in a beautiful location! And A/C for the hot summer months.
- 8/13–Another MS/PhD position will be available in the Peatman lab working on phytase superdosing starting in Winter/Spring 2016. Join the Strikeforce!
- 7/23–A position is available for a M.S. level student in the Peatman lab working in the area of largemouth bass genetics (beginning Fall/Winter of 2015/2016). Project will encompass both field and lab components. Contact us for more details.
- Spencer Gowan, Ginger Stuckey, and Ryan Zhao all successfully defended their M.S. theses in Spring and
- Summer 2015. Congratulations! Spencer returns to Australis Aquaculture, Ginger is working with American Sport Fish, and Ryan will continue on towards a Ph.D.
- We’re starting to plan the 2015 Fisheries Field Day. Make plans to be there.
- A little more nice press in Auburn’s “Our Work” newsletter…Bass master article
- Our work on Lake Guntersville has been featured in the B.A.S.S. Times and Activist Angler. Click here to read about it.
- We’re offering the same high-powered bass genetic analyses available to state biologists to private angler, pond owners, and managers (See “Services” tab to learn more)
It’s conference time. Lab members will be on the road presenting our research in the next few months.
- October 19-24th–Southeastern Fish and Wildlife Association meeting–Destin, FL– (Spencer Gowan and I will speak on our lab’s work on black bass genetics)
- November 6th–Invited presentation at Dauphin Island Sea Lab–(I’ll talk about genetic tools for conservation and recreational fisheries)
- December 1st-3rd–Bays and Bayous Conference–Mobile, AL–(Ammu Anil will speak about her genetics work on populations of Alabama largemouth bass)
- February 19th-22nd–Aquaculture America, New Orleans, LA–(Spencer Gowan will cover advances made in largemouth genetics, including sex-linked marker development;Ryan Zhao will talk about dietary impacts on mucosal immunity in catfish;Ginger Stuckey will talk about raceway selection of superior hybrid catfish genotypes)
- Drone’s Eye View of the S-6 Raceway System
- A Successful Run of Stocker Catfish Production in the S-1 Raceway System
- An Emerging Map of Alabama’s Largemouth Bass Populations
- Ammu Anil has joined our group from Boris Gomelsky’s lab at Kentucky State Univ. to work on a Ph.D. on black basses
- Plant and Animal Genome 2014–Check out our abstracts (White and Striped Bass Transcriptomes) (Blue Catfish GBS )
- Aquaculture America 2014–Seattle–I’ll be co-chairing the Health and Disease Session as well as presenting (Catfish Mucosal Microbiome)
- New lab facilities and Wet Lab (challenge facility) up and running in CASIC
- We’re looking for a few good undergrads to help out with field and lab research. Interested? Contact me!
- In-pond Raceways Operational!
- We’ve got a pole barn! No more feeding fry in the rain!
- We’re getting ready to move to beautiful new lab space in the CASIC building (August 2013)!
- Summer 2013–We are welcoming three new students this Fall–Spencer Gowan (by way of Roger Williams University and Australis), Ryan Zhao (Shanghai Ocean University), and Dongdong Zhang (Ocean University, Qingdao)
- (11/14/12) Positions are available for M.S. and Ph.D. level students in the Peatman lab. Project details vary from but all encompass both field and lab components. A background in biological sciences with some lab experience is desired. Contact us for more details.
- (9/25/12)–peatmanlab.org online. Keep checking back for updates!
Upcoming/Recent Events/Talks (we’ll be there!)
- Site Visit–Stuttgart National Aquaculture Research Center (October 6th)–Cooperative Agreement 420668
- Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies Conference–Hot Springs, AR (October 7-8th)
- University of Southern Mississippi–Gulf Coast Research Laboratory–Invited Seminar (October 18th)
- Plant and Animal Genome XXI—Aquaculture Genomics Workshop (chair)–January 12-16,2013–San Diego,CA
- Southern Division AFS/Black Bass Symposium–Feb 7-10th, 2012–Nashville, TN (Abstract)
- World Aquaculture Society–Aquaculture America (Feb 21-25, 2013) Abstract 1–Immunonutritional RNA-Seq Abstract 2–Resistant vs Susceptible
- Eastern Fish Health Workshop–April 29th-May 3rd, 2013–Gettysburg, PA